Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Hermès Turban

I was in London at the end of January. I stayed at a lovely bed and breakfast in what turned out to be the digs of one of London’s most fashionable neighbourhoods, Belgravia. Our accommodations were right around the corner from the ridiculously opulent Harrods department store (think Trump Towers x ten), Buckingham Palace and the not to be missed Serpentine Gallery, which was well worth the walk through Hyde Park.




When in Belgravia I was looking for signs of life and style
beyond merely layering on high priced designer clothing. I
discovered an Hermès window display that both marketed and
meshed luxury goods and branding with religion. The Hermès shop was actively promoting the use of their iconic silk scarves with religious clothing.

Was this form of marketing working? In Belgravia there were many muslim women wearing what I call Hermès hijab. While I did take a few photographs, I’ve decided not to show photographs that I did not receive permission to publish. Besides, I think the window display speaks for itself.

No comments:

 
Site Meter